Welcome to the Housing Guide
First things first:
- come to Hamburg.
What living in a dorm is like:
- Usually, one floor has shared bathrooms and a shared kitchen with a common room for everybody on that floor.
- In many dorms, there are additional rooms for the whole dorm: a gym, a study hall, a music room, a bar, or a sports hall.
- There might be activities like movie nights, parties, etc. that you can attend and where you can meet new people!
- Your housemates are always there for you - don't hesitate to get to know them and ask them questions!
- WG = Wohngemeinschaft, meaning shared apartment
- A WG can be 2, but also up to 10 people, that depends on the apartment and mindset of the people.
- Some WGs are used only for sleeping and the roommates don't really do anything together, if that is the case they will tell you that beforehand. BUT: Most of the WGs are communities that care about a good atmosphere of living together and want to have a friendly relationship with their roommates.
- Mostly, the WG-people care about who is going to move in and they will want to meet you before you can move in - they have to put up with you, right? So it can be easier to first get temporary housing, for example in a hostel, and then look at apartments and meet the people.
There are various gateways.
- Apply for a dorm room: http://www.studierendenwerk-hamburg.de/studierendenwerk/en/wohnen/international_students/
- http://wg-gesucht.de The most popular used platform, App and Website
- TUHH and UHH blackboards, get temporary housing and go by there