When was the last time you left really curious about something? If it was quite long, this is for you.
Here at ESN Hamburg, we want to take you to a guided tour through the Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY), Germany's largest accelerator centre and a research centre of the Helmholtz Association. Be ready to get a glimpse into the world of fast particles and futuristic technologies in the field.
DESY's function is to conduct fundamental research. It specializes in particle accelerator, particle physics, and photon science. Researchers use the large-scale facilities at DESY to explore the microcosm in all its diversity – from the interactions of tiniest elementary particles to the behaviour of new types of nanomaterials to biomolecular processes that are essential to life. The accelerators and detectors that DESY develops and builds are unique tools for research. The facilities generate the world’s most intense X-ray light, accelerate particles to record energies and totally open new windows into the universe.
DESY also is closely involved in major international projects such as the European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser, the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva, the IceCube Neutrino Observatory at the South Pole and the International Linear Collider.
About the Tour
- Start: 10:30 am
- Total time: 2.5 to 3 hours
- Language: English
- Introductory lecture (about 45 minutes)
- Tour around the DESY site in one or more groups (walking is necessary, partly outdoors). Models and exhibits further illustrate research at DESY.
- Young physicists working at DESY for their diploma and Ph.D. thesis will hold the introductory lecture and guide the tour.
- No special physics knowledge is required
Please note: The visit is not allowed for persons with reduced mobility. There are lots of staircases and 1,5 kilometers uneven terrain to cope with.
Meeting place and time:
- Friday, 7th June 2019 at 10:00 am
- In front of the gatehouse at the main entrance to the DESY site, Notkestrasse 85, 22607 Hamburg
HOW TO REACH DESY:
- Public Transportation- HVV-Bus line 1 to station “Zum Hünengrab / DESY” (directly in front of the main entrance)
- More info @ http://www.desy.de/about_desy/getting_there/hamburg/index_eng.html
Participation is free of charge.
The number of seats are limited. First come first serve. So Please register here!
Registration is closed. If you still want to be on the waiting list, you can send still fill out the registration form and we will get back to you ONLY if there is vacant place.
Thanks for your understanding.